As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you are regularly practicing meditation, yoga, or simply reciting mantras, you may want to consider using mala beads in your practice.
They are made up of 108 beads (plus a guru bead) that are used to keep count during your mantra meditations.
There are also shorter malas containing 21 or 27 beads, which are used for shorter mantra recitation sessions.
Mala beads are known by many different names, such as prayer beads, bodhi mala, japa mala, or Buddhist beads.
Malas beads have been used in Hinduism and Buddhism for centuries, but are also used by Christians and Muslims.
How To Use Mala Beads In Meditation
Some people may think that using mala beads is tedious, but I think it is enjoyable, easy, and simple.
To help you get started below are 8 steps you can follow:
- Clarify the purpose of your meditation and decide which affirmation or mantra to use.
- Look for a place that is comfortable, and sit quietly with your legs crossed.
- Close your eyes.
- Observe the depth and speed of your breath.
- Start breathing deeply and put your attention and focus to your affirmation or mantra.
- Hang the 1st mala bead slowly on the ring or middle finger of the right hand..
- Position your thumb on the bead and start chanting your mantra.
- Each time you chant the mantra, slide over to a new bead.
If you like to work on another round of affirmations or mantras, do not skip over or count the guru bead, instead, you should begin counting in the opposite direction.
When choosing mala, your intuition should be used first, If a specific mala appeals a lot to you, then that would be the most suitable mala for you to use. On the other hand, you can also choose depending on the purpose or intention of your meditation.
Very, very, very informative and helpful post!
Thanks for your help for guiding me on how to use tulsi japa mala beads.
I subscribed to your blog.
Mala prayer beads are used to recite mantras, it can also use as a fashion accessory. You can gift it to someone who is fond of Yoga and Meditation or use it as a decoration piece in your house.